I am really jazzed for the opportunity to teach another seminar this Saturday at Laura Brooks Rice’s program at Westminster Choir College, The CoOPERAtive Program. We will have a large group of some fantastic young singers and expect a good crowd to join in online!
Business of Singing Seminar
10:30 am – 1:00 pm EASTERN time
Saturday July 7th, 2012
Laura was wise to open this up for FREE. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot and I will email you the seminar materials (slides, preparation assignment, etc.). Then at 10:30 am EST, click this link:
Business of Singing Seminar
CoOperative Program 2012
10:30 – 1:00 pm EST, Saturday July 7th
“The Greatest Hits”
Getting the Most Out of Your Plans
This seminar will utilize what I have found to be the greatest exercises and discussion topics to help initiate a new vision and optimism for your career. The goal for our time together is simple: to help you bring the same level of instinct, polish and joy to “the business side” of what you do as you naturally bring to your singing.
- The Two Halves of the “Business of Singing”: Process vs. Tools. We will hit both the process (what, why, when) and the tools (how) during this session.
- Artistic Business Planning 101. Why you need one, what goes in it, when do you revisit it, what do you do with it?
- Approaching Your Business Plan from the Top-Down. What are the most basic elements of your story at this point? How can you make that story compelling and interesting to other people? How can we make this tap into your creative and fun side?
- Business Plan Take 1. We will take some time during the session to get started creating your strengths & weaknesses list, goals, artistic interests and 1,5,10-year ambitions. Remember to bring your computers! This is when we will tie in your pre-seminar preparation.
- Action Items. After going on that journey, jot down a few “action items” that require follow-up after the session. I will ask you to pick one action item and read it to the group.
- Sharing Your Business Plan. You will identify three contacts to share your business plan with, and make a plan for when, what to share, and the specific reason why you are sharing with this person. I will also ask that you email me your results in a week’s time.
- Resume Formatting. How to use MS Word to format a really nice-looking resume! Review the most common pitfalls I see and show you a better way.
- Singer Resources. We will flip through a list of the most important technologies and web sites that each singer should know about and know how to use.
- Velvet Singer 3.0 Sneak Peak / Feedback. I have been hard at work on a new version of my software, and I am excited to show some things off and get your take.